Work while you study is possible: Social Security for foreign students

Work while you study is possible: Social Security for foreign students

If you are a foreign student and you want to work in Spain during your study period, you should know that you can do it, but you will have to do some paperwork before you start working.

The first thing you will need is to have your student NIE. To apply you need to show that you are living and studying in the city, that is, you will need a rental contract, such as the one we provide you when you live in our student apartments, with which to request the registration form and the documentation that proves that you are studying in Spain. If you are not sure how to register in the city, do not hesitate to ask for help.

 If you already have your student NIE, the next thing you will need is an authorization to carry out part-time paid activities of a specific duration. The work schedule should be compatible with your studies, if it coincides in school periods. During the holidays if you can work full time, but not for a period longer than 3 months.

The authorization will be extended for the same time as the work contract with the limit of one year and may not be longer than the duration of the student card. That is, if the student card is no longer valid, it will also cease to be the authorization.

Once you have obtained this authorization, which you must request at the immigration office, you will need, in addition to the student's NIE, your own Social Security number.

This number indicates that you are affiliated with the Social Security system, which is the Spanish public system through which all citizens benefit from benefits such as public health, pensions or unemployment benefits. With this number you can also obtain the health card, which will give you access to public health in Spain through the CatSalut organization.

How to request your Social Security number?

To request your Social Security affiliation number, you will need the following documentation:

Your identification document: If you are a foreign student, you must present your student NIE.

You must also submit the "Model TA1" application form, which you can download here

I already have the necessary documentation ready. Where should I present it?

You can make the process in person at the Social Security office closest to your home. Find out what is in this link. An important issue is that you will need a Spanish mobile number in which to receive notifications, as they will not accept a foreign number.

You can also carry out the procedure online. If you want more information, you can check the official Social Security website in Spain.

If you are going to make studies and work compatible in Spain, you can continue living in our exclusive flats for national and international students.

We use our own cookies and third parties ones to offer our services and collect statistical data. If you continue browsing the internet you accept them. Accept
COVID19 prevention measures in student flats +info