How to study in Spain

How to study in Spain

If you have already applied for admission to the university and have the admission letter, the next thing you need to do is make an appointment at the Consulate or Embassy of Spain in your country. It will help you to make a list with all the doubts you have. There they can inform you correctly of all the requirements that are required to come to study in Spain as a student.


  1. Pre-admission letter from the University
Check at the university where you wish to study, which are the requirements or entrance exams to be admitted.

In order to proceed to step 2, that is, to apply for a visa, you will need a letter of admission to the university where you want to study in Spain.


  1. Visa

If you are not a citizen of the EU and you stay in Spain to study for more than three months, you will need a student visa. If your studies last more than six months, you must also apply in person for a residence permit (point 3).

This procedure should be done at the consulate of your country. It is important that you never skip this step since, if you arrive in Spain without this document you will be denied access and you will have to return to your country to process it. ?

These are the necessary documents to process your visa:

- Valid passport.

- Medical insurance for the duration of your stay in Spain to cover your medical expenses, and repatriation in case of accident or sudden illness.

- Evidence that you have means of subsistence and accommodation for the period for which you apply for the visa and, where appropriate, the funds to guarantee your return to your country.

If your stay is for more than six months, you will also need:

A criminal record certificate for Spain and its countries of previous residence in the last five years for crimes included in Spanish legislation.

A medical certificate stating that you do not suffer from any disease with serious repercussions for public health in accordance with the provisions of international health regulations.


  1. Residence card for students

For studies lasting more than 6 months in addition to the visa, you must apply for the residence card for students in the immigration offices of the National Police, once you are already installed in Spain.

You have 30 days from when you enter Spain to start the procedures to obtain your residence permit, which you can do at the Immigration Office or the Police Station in the province where the authorization is processed.

Here you have more information on how to apply for a residence card for foreign students

We use our own cookies and third parties ones to offer our services and collect statistical data. If you continue browsing the internet you accept them. Accept
COVID19 prevention measures in student flats +info